Bus Drivers and Epipens?
My daughter, Bean, takes the bus to and from school every day. One of the requirements of her 504 Plan (that they specified) was that her bus seat needs to be wiped down before she rides the bus every day, and that we must provide the wipes to do this. The reason is that they pick up children from the high school, and although the rule is NO EATING on the bus, they cannot guarantee that no one sneaks an occassional candy bar. I get this, because we all were young once, and the driver cannot monitor every little thing that happens on the bus and focus on the road. So, every morning, before she gets on the bus, I use a Sani Hands wipe to wipe down Bean’s seat. She also carries them in her backpack, and gives them to the bus driver every day after school to wipe down her seat. She carries an Epipen in her backpack, which is frowned upon by the bus company, but per her allergy doctor’s letter, she must carry an Epipen with her everywhere she goes, including the bus.
There has been a lot of discussion lately about schools being supplied with Epipens, and who should be trained to use them. Should bus drivers should be trained to use an Epipen? YES, YES, YES! Most people who are around children all the time have to go to a first aid and CPR class, so I feel this should be included in all of their training. Anyone who will be around lots of children on a regular basis should have this training. Our bus driver is aware of Bean’s allergy, and knows that she carries an Epipen, just in case. I realize children are not allowed to eat on the bus. However, there are lots of things children should not do, but there are just those times where their little brains shut off, and they do it anyway. Refer to my previous post about Bean eating cookies in case you didn’t read it. What about other children, who don’t eat anything, but has never been stung by a bee before? The bus is not air conditioned, so they ride with the windows down. You never know when one of those sneaky little buggers will fly in an open window, the children will panic and begin swatting at it, and someone will end up getting stung. What would the driver do in that situation where minutes mean everything? I think it would just be an additional safeguard for all children with any allergies. What do you think?