Tax Deductions for Food Allergies (Guest Post)

Great Info!

About Annie

I have a daughter with a severe peanut allergy. She was diagnosed when she was 2. She is 11 now. I have lived the battles of having a child with food allergies, and feel education and awareness makes all the difference.

Posted on March 20, 2013, in Food Allergies, Important Information. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.

  1. Thank you so much for reposting this piece about tax deductions and food allergies. I think there are so many people that aren’t taking advantage of this, so I’m thankful you’re helping spread awareness on this subject. Hello, free money? Who wouldn’t want that?! Thanks again!

    • Thanks for posting! We already filed our taxes, and I didn’t save any receipts since I didn’t know, but will definitely start saving receipts for next year!!

    • My WordPress posts also post to our Facebook page ( and someone responded with… Beth wrote: “Great information but I’m wondering if I can do this for next year as I’ve already filed but it doesn’t say. She also says the food has to be purchased from a specialty or health food store but Giant has a whole section of wheat free and other specialty foods. also has items … like cherrybrook farm products (their pancakes are great by the way).” Any ideas about the things she is asking?

      • I had another question on Facebook. Sara wrote: “I’m curious if anybody knows where I should start searching for a list of approved items. This is quite vague, as I can get rare safe foods online. So, I am wondering if the government considers that or if they just mean the average grocery store. Or an official list released by them.”

      • There is definitely no list of “qualified items.” If you’re not sure, best to speak with a tax accountant for more details.

      • If she saves her receipts for 2013 purchases, then she can claim for 2013. She won’t be able to claim for past years I don’t believe. Also, it seems the claims must only be for specialty stores, not general grocery stores – a silly rule if you ask me. It may be best for her to speak with a a tax specialist for more info.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: